Friday, January 27, 2012

Grandma Must Be Crazy

Grandma must be crazy.
I don’t mean to be unkind
But when she tucks me into bed
I’d swear she’s lost her mind.

She tells me all these crazy things
about when she was a youth.
My momma says to listen close
‘cause Grandma tells the truth.

But I just can’t believe it.
it’s like unicorns and magic.
The fact she believes this stuff
To me is really tragic.

Like phones you used to have to dial
And are always on the wall.
And sending emails you handwrite
With a postage stamp, and all.

Just the other night she told me
And swears that it is true.
That her parents woke her up one time
To watch a man walk on the moon.

First, you have to believe that
she was once a kid like me
And played kickball in the street
And loved to climb a tree.

She’d tell when she was back in school
And doing her homework
She’d have to go to the library
And look it up in a book.

Mamma calls her mamma
Can that actually be so?
Did she make her her costumes
And tuck her in, long ago?

I think I’m understanding
That it really is the truth
That grandma had the world her way
When grandma was a youth.

No comments: